Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happiness is a decision


I met and married my husband of 35 years when I was 16. I was young and dumb in the wisdom of the word. A babe in Christ. That man lit up my life. He only had to enter the room and smile at me to create great joy and happiness, but if he should enter with a look or word of disapproval I was immediately plunged into the depths of despare. I depended on him for my happiness. I did not know I alone was responsible for my own happiness. What a terrible burden to lay at anothers feet. What a selfish thing to do. So it was always his fault whether I was happy or not. I remember our childish arguments if he said something that hurt my feelings and made me cry. I would wallow in my self pity hurting and crying my eyes out, heart broken. How could the one I loved betray me so......see it was always his fault that way I was never accountable. Friends, men don't know, there is a reason they are called clueless. Our minds work differently. Let me give you an example..... A man and his wife are invited to an important party given by the boss. Of course upon examining her wardrobe she discovers she has nothing to wear. She wants her husband to be proud of her. They have very little disposal income so she is off to hunt for a bargain. At Wal-Mart they have a beautiful dress in her size for 50% off. She is delighted. When she is ready and joins her husband for the party, he is overtaken by his beautiful wife and how nice she looks in this dress. He asks her where she got it and she tells him. They proudly arrive at the party. Several comment on her pretty dress and some goofy woman says where did you get it? The husband answers for his wife bragging on her great 50% off deal. The wife is embarrassed and quiet on the way home. He notices and asks what's the matter. She is hurt and says if you don't know, I'm not going to tell you. She feels worse and worse and so does he. He doesn't know what is wrong or how to fix it until she finally says, You don't tell people I shop at Wal-Mart for cheap dresses, that embarrassed me. The husband feels as if he's been hit upside the head. He was proud of the good stewardship of his wife and wanted to brag on her. It was years before I learned happiness is a decision I make. I can literally change the atmosphere in a room from dispear to joy unspeakable and full of glory because of Him and the wisdom of His word. I have walked into a break room of co-workers trashing the boss and the place they work, the place that blesses them with a paycheck. I tell them I feel blessed to work in such a place as this. I feel blessed that I can walk and talk and work. I feel blessed because I have food and a car and medical care when so many don't have limbs or the physical ability to work or food for their kids or gas for their car. By the time I'm finished they are laughing and enjoying, actually grateful for where they are. You see my friends happiness is a decision you make. God has a simple recipe of how to get it fast...... He says put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, lift up your voice to God Pray in the Spirit and the understanding O magnify the Lord! I remember an old Walt Disney song that always brings a smile to my face..........zip pity do dah zip pity yeah! My O my what a wonderful day. Plenty of sunshine coming my way zip pity doodah zip pity yeah. Mr. Bluebird's on my shoulder, it's the truth it's actual, everything is satisfaction. Zip pity doodah zip pity yeah wonderful feeling wonderful day! Let happiness be a decision you make today !! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message so I know you've been here.