Thursday, August 12, 2010

SPEAK PEACE TO THE STORM

HOW DO YOU REACT TO A TORNADO? A few years ago we had a devastating tornado in our community. I never feared tornados as I grew up in Kansas and could see them coming from miles away. At least once a week we children were grabbed by our parents and shoved in the potato bins of a nearby cellar. However when we moved to Missouri and I married my husband I found he had an unnatural fear of them and ran from them. He instilled this fear in our children. He would drag us out in the rain and wind and run from the storm in the car, the absolute worse thing you can do. He was driven by his fear and we suffered for it. When I heard the siren warning of the coming tornado I was at work in a nearby city. The rest home where I was working started racing to get the patients into the hallways. I remember telling the nurse that it was wasted energy because where I was no harm would come nigh my dwelling. Unknown to me my children were running in the center of the devastating storm in their father's fear. One was in his pick up an was litterally lifted up and set back down. He took refuge in a small revene. Another son with twin infants took refuge in a closet under mattresses while another son trying to rescue them drove into a tree during the hail and high winds and got them carried to safety. Another son was standing on a front porch watching houses being ripped apart. We got word that my city had been hit bad. The storm destroyed many homes and killed an elderly man. I told my workers that my house would be standing unharmed. When I returned to the devastation of the storm I found my home intack a few tree limbs down and most of them from the neighbors yard. My neighbors tin shed was upside down in my yard. The damage I received was a few shingles blown off the small chicken house made out of crates. My point being is I spoke peace to the storm concerning my home and my children. My children ran around in their own power and their own strength trying to save themselves. I am not saying we should be foolish. I am saying by faith you can speak peace to the storm. My children have drug me to storm cellars a few times since then and now I refuse to go. They now call me and tell me there is a tornado warning and I tell them ok get to shelter me and God are going to hang out here and be comfortable. As long as my children operate in fear they need to seek shelter as for me I seek the shelter of the Almighty's arms of safety. I seek the wisdom of H.G. (Holy Ghost) . He always tells me the truth. If He gives me peace I stay put. I remember being at a revival in another city with my sister-in-law. The tornado whistle sounded and the lights went out. The evangelist admonished the people do not be afraid no harm will come nigh you as long as I am in the house, but if you see me take out the back door you'll know the Holy Spirit has told me to go. In a small city where the tornado took out several miles of houses there was a story of an older woman who cried out to God to save her. She trusted Him with her life there was no time to run. He did exactly as she asked when the storm passed she was standing behind her door. Her home was gone. The only thing left standing was her and the door. I believed if she had cried for God to save her and her house He would have done so, but He acted according to her faith. He gave her exactly what she asked for. During a storm my first act is to pray. My children react by running in fear and then crying out God save me. Do you act or react. How do you address the storms in your life. The words of Jesus still work best, peace be still and trust that He is God. Someone out there today is reacting to a storm in their life and I ask that person to stop, be still and speak peace into that storm. I love you. God bless...LINDA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message so I know you've been here.