Monday, January 17, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WORLD

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WORLD

Happy birthday world
It is a brand new year,
A chance for new beginnings,
For you and me and those we hold so dear.

The trees are bare and stark,
Against a cloudless sky,
Snow scatters from the branches,
As a northern wind roars by.

The temperature is dropping,
There is snow here and there,
When you are retired,
You can stay inside and not go anywhere.

A pot of vegetable soup is bubbling,
And there is a nice hot cup of tea,
A sweat shirt over a flannel one,
And I am as warm as I can be.

I remember childhood winters,
Delivering papers and such,
Returning with frozen fingers and toes,
Kids wanted to play snow forts,
And I said no, thank you very much.

My idea of a good time,
When all the chores were done,
Was to cuddle up to the wood stove,
With a good book and think of summer sun.

In the bitter chill of winter,
The saying that impressed me most,
Was this too shall pass,
Kept my thoughts warm as morning toast.

I have endured many bitter winters,
And now I am getting old,
Wrapped in my blanky with my book,
I can sit here and write poems to be told.

Happy birthday world,
Thank you for a brand new year.
Shall we praise His glorious name,
Have another cup of tea and sound a joyful cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message so I know you've been here.