Friday, April 16, 2010

MOM'S ROSES


When my mother-in-law passed, her daughters sorted through her things. A dresser held many new items , gifts that had been given through the years of Christmas and birthdays. They were unopened, unused. I recognized a robe my husband and I had given her 25 years before. How sad, what a waste never to be enjoyed. My Mom and Grandma had a saying....give me my roses while I am living, they won't do me a bit of good when I am dead. I wrote this poem for my Mom one Mother's day.......


Give me my roses while I'm living, Mom always said,
They will not do me a bit of good when I am dead.
I want to bury my nose in their fragrance sweet and pure.
I want to see your bright shiny face when you give them dear.
As the colors fade and the blossoms fall,
I'll gather the petals in a sachet for my dresser drawers.
Don't forget to add a rainbow of iris to a bouquet or two,
Then take photo, a perfect gift from me to you.
The pink English roses are my favorite, hear what I say.
A dozen blooms on one stem, a perfect bouquet.
And of course yellow roses are my favorite too,
Their double dew covered heads, hanging over the fence as they do.
Don't forget the deep burgandy climbing the porch rail,
Their majesty makes my heart smile.
And of course the priceless roses your Dad and I planted with care,
Three little girls and three little boys.
Gave us aggravation over the years,
But mostly tremendous joys.
Then the most precious gifts from the Father above
Grandchildren and great grandchildren, our precious loves.
So when you stand at my casket at the funeral my dear,
Display photos of my family and roses to show,
How Mom enjoyed her roses while she was here.
Give me my roses while I am living my Mom always said,
They won't do me a bit of good when I am dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message so I know you've been here.