Thursday, April 15, 2010

MARGE


FOR 6 YEARS I WORKED LAUNDRY IN A REST HOME. It was a God appointed job. I laid hands on and prayed for every article of material touched the elderly there. I delivered clothes to each room and held hands that were afraid. I smiled and joked and made their days a little brighter. One day as I was passing a little lady stopped me and our conversation touched my heart so that I wrote a poem about the encounter. I had it made into a song and gave a copy to her daughter. She cried when she heard it. The lady has since passed and the song was played at her funeral.




I was on my way to the laundry at the rest home today,
When a fragile little lady touched my arm as I passed her way.
She said, could you stop for a minute or two and hear what I have to say?
I said sure honey, I'd be glad to,
Is there something I can do?
I'm confused, confused about the time you see,
I said, no problem, it is eight thirty,
Oh, but you don't understand, she replied.
Is it 8:30in the morning or 8:30 at night.
It's 8:30 at night and time to rest,
She brightened a bit and then she said,
If I go to bed tonight get up early in the morning and do my chores, everything will be all right?
Her words took my heart and gave it a squeeze,
As I smiled at her and agreed.
I swallowed a sob as I started to go.
But there was one more thing she wanted me to know.
As she gave my arm final squeeze,
A tear slipped down her weathered cheek.
Honey, you have no idea what it feels like to be lost.
I patted her arm and held in my grief,
Until I could slip away and get relief.
How many times have we passed the lost today?
Who didn't know who they were or what to do?
Couldn't you take a minute or two.
Stop in the hallway and let Marge talk to you.
With dignity and courage she touched my heart,
With compassion and love.
And I breathed a little prayer to the Father above.
Lord, couldn't you help others today,
Be blessed, as they stop and hear what Marge has to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message so I know you've been here.